Open Meetings

MINUTES OF MEMBERS' MEETING - TUESDAY 23RD JUNE

1. Apologies for absence

Katrina, Alan S, Colin

2. Minutes of last meeting and matters arising

All were covered elsewhere on the agenda.

3. Organisation of coach travel to away matches next season

Before the discussion got underway Martin placed on record the Trust's thanks to Alan Scarisbrick and Phil Carder for all their efforts in organising the coaches since the Trust's formation.

The first part of the discussion focussed on why people weren't travelling on the coaches. The main reasons given were:

• The availability of cheap train tickets and the increased freedom of travelling by rail and car.

• The cost of the coach fare.

• Departure times for midweek games being too early for some people who are working.

A number of suggestions were then given on how to increase the number of supporters travelling by coach:

• Vouchers for a set number of games eg 5 – Would allow those who intend to use the coaches regularly to save money and would generate income enabling the Trust to budget more in advance.

• More flexibility after games – Members present were split evenly with some wanting to leave immediately after the match and some wanting to stay for a drink.

• Prioritise popular destinations – Taking into consideration when running a special offer how popular the destination is and not just with the most local fixtures eg Kidderminster may be more popular than Gateshead.

• More pick up points – eg The Liverpool area (when travelling to Wrexham or Tranmere) and Manchester area.

• Ensuring the cheapest possible price – Requests for quotes will once again be sent to several local companies. Some companies are more eager for one off big games such as Derby.

• Pricing and Incentives - Ideas were put forward about the pricing structure for members in general and junior members in particular. Also some ideas for offering incentives for regular travellers.

All of these points and suggestions will be discussed at the next Board meeting along with any other suggestions received in the meantime which are always welcome.

4. Treasurer's Report

The Trust's current available funds stand at £28,707.66. This figure includes £500 which has been received for the 2005 Reunion and members were reminded that £25,000 of this figure is set aside for the floodlights project.

5. Membership

A quiet time of the year but a busy period is expected shortly with many renewals due in August. The Trust's target is to reach 250 members over the course of the season with membership currently standing at 210.

6. Future Trust Events

There are currently 12 players in the Trust team to face Churchtown CC on Sunday 26th July. The match will be 20 overs and there are still spaces left for substitutes and reserves.

Arrangements for the 2005 Reunion are progressing well with all places on the supporters' team sold out in a day. The response from the 04/05 squad has been excellent with 16 having confirmed their attendance to date. The training sessions held by Richard Brodie have been very popular and volunteers are being sought to help with the running of the event on the day.

There will be a Meet the Manager session on Saturday 1st August following the friendly against Bolton which will be held in the Grandstand Bar.

Noel outlined to members present the Trust's calendar of events for next season with one event taking place after the first home game of each month.

7. Relations with the club

Martin had e-mailed Haydn requesting a statement to be made by the club regarding the floodlights. (Since the meeting the club has issued a statement on its official website stating that the pylons will be erected in August.)

8. Any other business

Ben Highton will be running the Southport Half Marathon on Sunday 5th July to raise money for the Trust and all supporters are encouraged to donate. The Trust intends to hold one of its events next season as a tribute to Mark 'Batman' Heaton who sadly passed away recently. The Prediction League for 15/16 has been launched and this time there will be no random entries. Congratulations went out to Nicola Hudson on her new role with Supporters Direct.

9. Next meetings

Thursday 16th July - Board

Continue Reading

AGENDA FOR MEMBERS' MEETING - TUESDAY 23RD JUNE 7.30PM

1. Apologies for Absence.

2. Minutes of last meeting and matters arising

3. Organisation of coach travel to away matches next season.

4. Treasurer's Report.

5. Membership.

6. Future Trust Events.

a) Cricket match against Churchtown

b) Reunion of 2004/5 Championship Winning team

c) Series of events for new season.

7. Relations with the club.

8. TIY Targets and Objectives for 2015/16.

9. Any other business.

10. Next meetings.

a) Board

b) AGM

Continue Reading

MINUTES OF MEMBERS' MEETING - TUESDAY 7TH APRIL

1. Apologies for absence

Katrina

2. Minutes of last meeting and matters arising

Luke George will be presented with his honorary membership at the Presentation Evening. In total around £1200 was raised with £900 of this going to Diabetes UK. All those who had paid for the Bristol weekend have now been refunded.

3. Phil Carder

The closing date for the Phil Carder Goal of the Season award is on Friday 17th April and there has been an excellent response so far. Churchtown Cricket Club will be in contact about a possible date for a cricket match in the summer. Bill will look into a plaque for the office and has also ordered a replacement trophy for the Goal of the Season award. Progress with the celebration wall is ongoing.

4. Finances Report

Steady progress is being made and it is hoped that full access to the bank account for the new signatories will be granted in the next week. Thanks to Colin's efforts the FCA have been kept in touch with the changed at the Trust and all creditors have now been paid. The £15,000 in the Cambridge & Counties 30 day notice account will be left where it is for now.

5. Membership

There has been very little change in what is a slow time of the year for membership. The Trust were, however pleased to welcome its first Polish member last week.

6. End of season Awards and Presentation Evening

The evening will start at around 5.30pm following the Grimsby match to allow the players to get changed etc. Noel will sort out the sound system with James and Nicola. A running order will be organised once the awards to be presented have been finalised. The Trust have received reassurances from the club that there should be no issues with regards to the extraordinary away following expected from Grimsby.

7. Other Trust Activities including outline of programme of events for next season

The 04/05 reunion will hopefully take place on one of the first couple of Sundays in August. This will be publicised at least 2 months in advance allowing proper arrangements to be made. The programme of events for next season will be launched at the Presentation Evening and dates will be booked as soon as next season's fixtures have been released. There will be a special event next Spring to celebrate the Trust’s 10th birthday.

8. Relations with the club

As usual the level of communication received from the club has been very poor. The issue of safety with the current floodlights was raised with over 2000 fans expected from Grimsby next week. It was agreed that because of the difficulties with the floodlights project, in the future the Trust would only want to be involved in projects over which it had control.

9. Coach Travel

A coach will definitely be running to Bristol but whether one runs to Welling will almost certainly depend on the importance of the match. For next season an acceptable level of tolerance for losses will be agreed to ensure that expenses don't get out of control. The coach to Altrincham ran at a small profit. Martin will send out for the usual quotes from coach companies for next season's fixtures.

10. Any other business

Ben Highton is running the Southport Half Marathon on Sunday 5th July and is very kindly donating all sponsorship monies to the Trust. Forms will be available in the Trust office.

11. Next meetings

Tuesday 5th May - Board

Continue Reading

MEMBERS' MEETING POSTPONED

Unfortunately we have had to postpone Tuesday's meeting due to the FA Trophy replay against Wrexham. This will now be re-arranged for the New Year.
Continue Reading

MINUTES OF MEMBERS' MEETING - TUESDAY 21ST OCTOBER

1. Apologies for absence

Katrina, Colin

2. Minutes of last meeting and matters arising

The presentation of the September Player Of The Month award was a success with John Bennett, one of the fans who made the journey to Grimsby, doing the honours.

3. Treasurers report

The Trusts balance currently stands at £25,195. A payment of £840 was recently made to the club for last seasons community coaching. The next match signs have cost £235 so far and £88 has been set aside for the prize for this seasons Prediction League. A total of £1,275 has been raised since the start of July through membership renewals.

4. Membership

Bill reported that the Trust currently has 212 members although this doesnt include renewals that were due in September and October. Junior memberships continue to be acquired at an increased rate with any junior nominated to present the Player Of The Month Award being offered 6 months free membership.

5. Liaising with local companies

Elite Positive Fitness is the latest local business to offer discounts to Trust members thanks to Colins efforts. There has already been quite an uptake from supporters and it is hoped that these initiatives will boost membership in the long term, as well as promoting the club in the community.

6. Coach Travel

The coaches have run at a net surplus of £42 so far this season. At the time of the meeting 24 were confirmed for the Tamworth coach which will definitely be running. Phil has begun to make enquiries regarding the weekend in Bristol towards the end of the season.

7. Cooperation with the club

Noel had been in touch with Haydn who stated that the floodlights will be installed as quickly as possible and that there is no need for alarm. The Trust will push for an official press release so that supporters can be kept up to date with developments. With regards to this seasons community coaching it was agreed that the Trust cannot commit funds until a clearer timescale for the installation of the floodlights is known.

8. Fundraising

The Race Night will now take place early in the new year with the 17th January the likely date. The buy a brick scheme would possibly consist of plaques that would be displayed on the wall at the back of the club shop. Any 50/50 draw is unlikely at the moment as it would clash with the clubs Golden Goal competition.

9. Other Trust events

Gary Brabin will be asked about taking part in a meet the manager session. Being a popular figure the Trust is sure this would be a well attended event and is keen to build a rapport with what will hopefully be a long term appointment.

10. Results of Questionnaire on attendances

A total of 21 replies were received to the questionnaire which asked supporters for their opinions of why gates have dropped and what can be done to improve them. The main factors were seen as the quality of football and the infrastructure of the club. It was agreed that attracting the youngsters of the town to watch Southport was a key issue and this could be a long term project for the Trust.

11. Any other business

None.

12. Dates of next meeting

Tuesday 18th November - Board Tuesday 16th December - Members

Continue Reading
Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next